Path to Get a Marriage Green Card


By Imagility

Share this on:

Table of Contents 

What is a marriage Green Card?
Eligibility requirements to get a marriage Green Card
The process to get a marriage Green Card
How long does it take to get a marriage Green Card?
How much does it cost to get a marriage Green Card?
Bottom line
Are you looking for ways to get a marriage Green Card? Do you know the primary condition to get a marriage Green Card? Do you know you can get a marriage Green card only if you are married to a valid Green Card holder or a legitimate US citizen?

We will highlight each component of a marriage Green card, like eligibility criteria, application process (applicants living outside the US and inside the US), and other crucial factors in this blog to help you navigate a marriage Green card process successfully.

So, keep reading,

What is a marriage Green Card?

A Marriage Green Card, also known as a lawful permanent resident card, is a legal document that grants foreign-born spouses the right to live and work in the United States permanently. Having a Marriage Green Card is the initial step towards becoming a lawful permanent resident, which can eventually lead to US citizenship. If you are married to a US citizen or Green card holder (lawful permanent resident), you might be eligible for a Marriage Green Card.

Eligibility requirements to get a marriage Green Card

Let’s look at the eligibility requirements you need to fulfill before applying for a marriage Green Card.

  • Your marriage should be legal and officially recognized by the country where you married your spouse.
  • You must be married to either a Green Card holder or a US citizen.
  • You must have documented proof that your marriage is legitimate, not fake.
  • Neither you nor your partner has married someone else before. If so, you must show a divorce, death certificate, or other documented proof that shows your marriage has ended.

The process to get a marriage Green Card

Obtaining a marriage Green Card is a long process that requires patience and careful planning. The process can take several months or even years to complete, depending on various factors, such as the complexity of your case and the processing times of USCIS. Below are the key steps involved in the marriage Green Card process.

Step1: Submit form I-130

First, you must submit form I-130 (Petition for Alien Relative) to the USCIS. The form is meant to establish the marriage relationship between you and your spouse. While submitting form I-130 to USCIS, you must include the essential documents, like, the sponsor’s birth certificate, marriage certificate, divorce document (if applicable), etc. You can send it online to your USCIS account or USCIS’s appropriate mail address.

Step2: Apply for the Green Card

There are two different ways to apply for a Green Card after filing the form I-130: first is living in the US, and second, is living outside the US. Let’s start with the first one.

  • Process for Green Card applicants living in the US

If you live in the US, you must submit form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status. It is commonly known as adjustment of status, allowing you to change your current immigrant status (fiancee or non-immigrant visa) to a marriage Green Card. While filling out form I-485, you need to include the following documents:

  • Birth certificate
  • Valid proof of entering the US
  • Medical examination document
  • Document showing your spouse will financially support you

It is important to note that if you are married to a US citizen, you are allowed to fill and submit form I-485 with form I-130. Whereas, if your spouse is a Green Card holder, you must wait for USCIS notification to submit form I-485.

  • Process for Green Card applicants living outside the US

If you are outside the US, you will go through consular processing to apply for a marriage Green Card. In consular processing, you wait in your home country until USCIS approves your I-130 petition. Once approved, USICS sends your file to the US Department of State’s national visa center, NVC.

Next, NVC will notify you while sending the complete NVC package, where you will have detailed information on what to do next. Usually, you have to fill in the required things mentioned in the package, which will be the following:

  • Filing fees of $445
  • Form DS-260, your actual Green Card application form, needs to be filed online through the Consular Electronic Application Center (CEAC).
  • Nationality proof
  • Clearance proof from all countries where you have lived since age 16
  • The document that shows your spouse will financially support you in the US

How long does it take to get a marriage Green Card?

The processing time for your marriage Green Card application typically varies due to several factors, such as the workload and staff availability at the processing center assigned to your case. If you are currently in the United States, the estimated timeframe for processing is approximately 8-10 months. However, the processing time may extend to about 10-13 months if you are outside the United States.

How much does it cost to get a marriage Green Card?

When applying for a marriage Green Card from within the United States, the required fee is $1760, not including the costs for medical examination ($200-$500) and biometric fees. On the other hand, if you are applying from outside the United States, the fee amounts to $1200.

Bottom line

Before applying for a marriage Green Card, check all the essential requirements to avoid any consequences. Also, go through each detail carefully discussed in the blog. You can leverage the benefits of our immigration software, which has helped several couples realize their dreams of successfully getting marriage Green Cards.

Our immigration platform stands out as it can create effective petitions within hours and give you essential recommendations through the petition analysis feature, which helps you increase your chances of getting marriage Green Card approvals.

The software is designed explicitly with the inputs of our immigration experts, having 30+ years of experience handling a range of immigrant cases like family-based, marriage-based, and employment-based visas.

For more information about Imagility, please visit

Or call us at +1 603 782 4622/+1 617 865 6588

Subscribe for latest blog updates

By submitting this you will be receiving our latest updates on the blogs.

Get Started With Imagility

Save upto 6 hours a day!